When you’re in the mood for a dairy-free alfredo sauce (i.e. something creamy, cheesy and actually not bad for you) try this one. I made it last weekend using the version in this Eggplant Parmesan recipe from Fat Free Vegan, then used the leftovers on my Loaded Baked Potato for lunch the next day. I think I might have become slightly addicted because I started craving it and also started mucking with the recipe.
So I came up with this version the very next day to put in our Vegan Baked Ziti and after finding myself eating it by the spoonful I decided I had a problem. I had to photograph it in a hurry and pour it on the Vegan Baked Ziti before I ate it all.
We’ve used this dairy-free alfredo sauce in the following recipes:
You could also use it for the following:
- Pour it over tortilla chips and top with corn, black olives, salsa, and jalapenos for a tasty nacho dish
- Steam broccoli and cauliflower and pour it over the top as a side dish
- Drizzle some over a corn or whole wheat tortilla with beans, lettuce, tomatoes, and veggies for a healthy twist on a quesadilla
This is a little different from our first Cheezy Sauce as it is soy-based and has a slightly different flavor.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 1 package Mori Nu extra-firm silken tofu (12.3 oz.)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 2 tbsp. cashew butter or tahini or 3 tbsp. cashews
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 2 tsp. corn starch
- 1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec.
- Blend until it is completely smooth.
- If using in a lasagna or casserole dish, add it as is.
- If you are using it to top a baked potato, nachos or something else that is already cooked, heat on the stove top until boiling, then simmer for a few minutes while stirring, until the sauce thickens.
- If you are short on time, microwave it for a minute or two, stirring once during cooking, until thickened.
- Makes about 2 cups.
Tell us about other ways that you have used this alfredo sauce below.