This Raisin Rice Pilaf is a nice change from a plain rice and goes great with our Chickpea and Eggplant Curry or any other Indian dish you choose to make. With it’s cumin seasoning and raisins it offers a savory and sweet combination of flavors.
If you’re not in the mood for Indian food, leave out the cumin and serve this with a big salad for a satisfying meal.
- 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup peas (use thawed frozen peas for better results)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Salt (to taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews or pistachios (optional)
- Heat 2 Tbsp of water in a large pot. Add cumin seeds and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice and the water and bring to a boil uncovered. Stir once, close the lid and turn the heat down to low. Cook for 15-20 minutes. Then let stand for about 15 minutes before opening the lid. Do not open the lid or you'll get a soggy mess.
- Add in the peas, raisins, and nuts (if using) and fluff with a fork.
If you are short on time you can use this nearly-ready-made organic brown rice that we buy in bulk at Costco or you can find on Amazon. It’s not Basmati so it will have a slightly different flavor but it will cut down on the cooking time substantially. If using this rice, heat it in the microwave (just 90 seconds for organic brown rice–woo!). Saute the cumin seeds in 1-2 Tablespoons of water until fragrant. In a large bowl, add the rice, cumin seeds, peas, raisins and nuts and mix together.