I love granola bars and since beginning a plant-based whole foods diet it has been difficult to find a healthy, oil-free and most importantly, YUMMY vegan granola bar! I was reading some food blogs today and came across a couple of different recipes for granola bars. One was from Two Sisters One Kitchen, and one was from 86 Lemons. What are the chances of finding two different vegan granola bar recipes on one day? I don’t know. Doesn’t matter. What matters is that I was inspired to make my own and share the recipe with all of you, our Plantivores community! Shortly thereafter the Nutty Crunch Chocolate Vegan Granola Bar was born.
You can certainly follow this recipe as-is or you can make some modifications. As long as you keep the proportions pretty similar as far as wet and dry ingredients go, you shouldn’t have any problems. Don’t like almonds? No problem, leave them out use pecans or peanuts instead. Have a nut allergy? Use seeds instead: increase the pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds and add sesame seeds and use all sun butter instead of peanut or almond butter. Don’t have maple syrup? Use agave nectar instead. Don’t want chocolate (I can’t imagine! but to each his own), use raisins, dried cherries, cranberries or other dried fruits instead. See how flexible this is?
What makes this even better is that it is easy to make and doesn’t require any cooking! When finished just pop it in the refrigerator for an hour to two to firm up, remove from pan, cut into squares and enjoy!
So here you have a delicious, nutritious, nutty, crunchy, salty, sweet, and totally satisfying vegan granola bar. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (use gluten-free if desired)
- 1/4 cup flax-seed meal
- 1/8 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/8 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup organic brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup organic no-oil added almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 1/2 cup organic no-oil added sun butter
- Add all dry ingredients (oats through cinnamon) to a large bowl and mix together.
- Add maple syrup and brown rice syrup to a small bowl and stir until combined.
- Add this mixture to the dry nut/seed mixture and stir until well combined.
- Add almond butter and sun butter to the nut/seed mixture and stir until everything is combined.
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper, leaving some extra on each side to use as handles upon removal.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and press down until it is evenly distributed.
- Cover and put in the refrigerator for at least one hour or until firm.
- Remove and use parchment handles to remove from the baking dish.
- Cut into 16 bars and store in between parchment paper in the freezer or refrigerator.