Chocolate Chip Cookies (Cakies)
Recipe type: Dessert, Cookies
- 1 1/2 c. white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 c. agave nectar (or maple syrup)
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. organic sugar
- 2 T. non-dairy or organic milk
- 1 flax “egg" (1 T. whole flax—ground and mixed with 3 T. water) or 1 Ener-G "egg"
- 1/2 c. vegan dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread a piece of non-stick aluminum foil or parchment paper on a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Prepare your flax “egg” and set aside to thicken.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together applesauce, agave, vanilla extract, sugars, flax "egg" and non-dairy milk.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a large spoon drop cookie dough onto cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 min. until cookies are slightly firm to the touch and slightly brown.
- Makes 16-18 medium-sized cookies.
Recipe by Plantivores at http://plantivores.com/vegan-chocolate-chip-cookies/