Middle Eastern Bowl
Recipe type: Main Course
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 8 cups spinach or other greens
- 2 cups brown rice—or any whole grain of your choice: farro, quinoa, couscous, barley, etc.
- 4 cups veggies of your choice - try tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, yellow squash, zucchini, etc.
- 1/2 cup hummus—we use oil-free or you can make your own
- 1/2 cup sliced kalamata olives not packed in oil
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley or 1 cup tabbouleh
- 2 cans fava beans (DO NOT DRAIN)
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Prepare brown rice per package instructions.
- Slice/chop and/or saute your vegetables.
- Open 2 cans and DO NOT DRAIN. The best part of the fava beans is the liquid that comes in the can.
- Add fava beans and chopped garlic to a saucepan and heat on medium stirring frequently.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until the beans have come to a light boil. Reduce heat and cook for several more minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- If your canned fava beans don't contain cumin, add in 1-2 teaspoons and stir well.
- Add in 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice and heat for one more minute.
- For each bowl begin by adding 2 cups of spinach and then 1/2 cup of rice. Then add each ingredient, using one-quarter of the total amount of each ingredient for each bowl.
- Top with fresh parsley or tabbouleh.
You can substitute chickpeas for the fava beans.
Recipe by Plantivores at http://plantivores.com/middle-eastern-bowl/