I love salads but sometimes I get tired of the same old thing. I came up with this easy and delicious “cheezy” pecan topping recipe to make things a bit more interesting. I served this with a salad on Thanksgiving, along with my new favorite salad dressing from Dreena Burton: Magical Oil-Free Vegan Salad Dressing. You can serve this topping with most any salad dressing of your choosing, or even without dressing, but the dressing definitely helps the “cheezy” pecan topping to stick. With only 3 ingredients: pecans, nutritional yeast and salt, it takes no time at all to throw together. This is also a great way to try nutritional yeast if you haven’t done so before. Read more about using Nutritional Yeast here.
But don’t limit yourself to using this as just a salad topping. Try this as a topping on savory pancakes, popcorn, pasta, or roasted cauliflower. Last week I topped a dish of spaghetti squash and pecan nut balls with some pasta sauce and this topping and it was amazing!
Let us know what other foods you could top this with.
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2-3 pinches fine-grained salt
- Pre-heat oven or toaster oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or non-stick aluminum foil.
- Place the pecans on a non-stick baking sheet and spread them out.
- Bake them for 2-3 minutes and check to see if they are done.
- In a toaster oven they will burn in about 3 minutes if you are not careful.
- Once they are browned, but not burned, remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
- In a bowl add the pecans, nutritional yeast and salt and mix well.
This recipe was shared at Gluten-free Fridays.